Congratulations! You’ve started going “Paleo”….now what? How do you actually accomplish this when you’ve been eating so far away from how you’ve evolved to eat? Here are 10 tips to help you get there:
1. Enjoy eating paleo. Enjoy what you eat. If you are unhappy with what you are eating you are unlikely to continue to keep eating that way, and once the nutrition is gone, staying fit and healthy becomes much harder.
2. Pre-cook food. Spend a few hours at the beginning of the week and cook big batches of food. This will allow you to minimise the amount of time that you have to spend cooking during the week.
3. Cook more that you need. This is similar to the previous tip, the idea being that if you cook more than you need for one meal then you can eat it later, or the next day.
4. (THIS APPLIES FOR AFTER THIS CHALLENGE! :-0) Rather than cutting yourself off from all of those foods which you enjoy that aren’t 100% paleo friendly, simply eat smaller amounts and be moderate.
5. Do not keep junk/unhealthy food that you know you shouldn’t eat, in the house. For most people, if it is in the house they will eventually eat it.
6. Do not run out of food. This is horrible. Do not let it happen to you.
7. Try planning out your meals for a week. This comes easily to type one personalities, for the rest of us it can be a nuisance. Though this has the benefit of ensuring you know what you need in the house for the week, and eliminates that time wasting period during which you try and figure out what you should cook for dinner.
8. Keep a handy meal (apple, orange, nuts, can of tuna) in your car/office/desk/bag for a paleo friendly snack in case plans change.
9. Learn to use spices; this will do wonders for you and will offer variety and different flavors to your meals.
10. Eat lots of vegetables; try and eat a good variety with many different colors.
There you go, 10 tips that will probably help you stick to this, not just for the next 4 weeks but hopefully for the duration.